Monday, July 25, 2011

Interview with the Camp Director

I spotted Mr Turgeon while he was watching softball and he graciously agreed to share some of his thoughts about camp. See below the paraphrased answers he gave to my questions.


What is the most rewarding aspect of PYC for you?
Being with the children of God's family. I literally go from 4 of my own kids to over 140 campers.

What changes do you see in campus over the duration of camp?
Campers come to PYC with varying degrees of nervousness, excitement and feeling insular. By the end they blossom and you can see the unity of everyone. What they actual experience is like the kingdom and that's why many do not want to leave at the end.

What can campers do to prevent homesickness?
I was homesick when I went to college at 18. One antidote is to quickly make friends. I notice that this tends to affect girls more than boys.

What do you enjoy most about camp?
Watching the spiritual growth and and development of the campers turning to God.  One camper told me that 2 weeks before camp she was cotemplating leaving the church but now she has turned around.All the effort and cost is worth it to save just one life.
I also love Softball!

What is the most challenging aspect of PYC?
It's a very demanding schedule. For the counselors it can become draining as you get through the first couple of weeks and I work to encourage them to stay upbeat .

What advice would you give to campers hoping to come to PYC for the first time next year?
Try to throw yourself into activities such as sports, academics, music and the spiritual. Develop your talents. Most of all get into the habit of regular pray and study before you come.

What can parents do for campers?
Encourage their returning campers to keep the momentum of what they learnt from PYC.

No comments:

Post a Comment