Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Campers arrive, kitchen gears up, Orientation

Today was exciting as the campers started arriving in the morning. At breakfast I met up with friends from Trinidad - Geeta Mohammed and Alicia Sebro who will be working custodial. Geeta's daughter is attending camp for the first time.

I have pictures of many campers arriving but left my other camera in the kitchen so I'll post those tomorrow!

Things are starting to shift gears in the kitchen as we started preparing dinner for over 200 people which was BLT sandwiches and salad. I'm looking forward to seeing all the campers go through the line tomorrow at lunch (my shft is 10am-4pm). I must say how wonderful Mr and Mrs Kreuger are. They are so upbeat and accessible and check with us often to make sure we are doing ok. Mrs Kreuger warms us with her hugs when we arrive for our shift.


I attended the Orientation lecture after dinner given by Mr Turgeon in upstairs in the Barbara Flurry Memorial building. It was a stirring introduction to the camp them of -"Oh How Love I Thy Law". Mr Turgeon said he was inspired to select this theme by King David and also the series of the same name in the RV. His key scripture was Jos 22:5 and he elaborated on the 6 phrases in that verse. Encouraging campers (and staff) to obey the rules and build their relationship with God. Parents of campers will be reassured to know that Mr Turgeon expressed his desire to show each camper just how much they were loved in a genuine way.

Joshua 22:5 But take diligent heed to do the commandment and the law, which Moses the servant of the LORD charged you, to love the LORD your God, and to walk in all his ways, and to keep his commandments, and to cleave unto him, and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul.

Oh and one piece of great news is that Mr Turgeon added 2 more campers today so that's 146 attending and one of the last minute additions was Sarah from my own congregation!
Campers wait for lecture to start

Mr Turgeon greets each camper as they leave
After the lecture my good friend Beryl and I went out to Walmart to pick up a few supplies and a pair of sneakers for me to wear that support my torn Achilles tendon! Actually, it's been holding up really well and I get to sit if I am say cutting up veggies. By the way...Mrs Greaser made an awesome Tomato Basil soup today - rich, thick extremely flavorful.  I'll have to see if I can replicate it because the recipe is all in her head.
You may recognize name of Lorraine Lafferty who is a regular on TE Town.
Ms Beazley greets Lorraine








 

No comments:

Post a Comment