Tuesday, July 5, 2011

First day of work


I got my first taste of kitchen duty today. I learnt a lot and have a much better appreciation for all that goes into providing meals for tens of people. From tomorrow I'll know what it takes to feed hundreds! First of all there are so many tasks that have to be done to make everything run smoothly and a lot (if not all things) are made from scratch. Today I helped make a big batch of caesar dressing, cut up lots of broccoli and prepared 3 big bowls of salad. They have these cool urns that keep the coffee and Teccino for well over 8 hours.  I had a special treat of helping prepare Mr Flurry's lunch and dropping it off at their office.

The standards of hygiene are very high and the kitchen is subject to frequent health inspections. PCG has a score of receved 100% three tmes! Mr and Mrs Kreuger work very hard to ensure that standards are kept up and their enthusiasm for providing high quality, healthy food is evident. I am going to have a lot of good information to use at home.
This year is the highest number of volunteers ever at 21. We'll be working 6 hour shifts starting at 6am through to 8.30pm 6 days a week. On Sabbath some of the local singles have volunteered to take over. :)

 I saw some more campers arrive today - the English contingent!

Counselors and other staff had their orientation today and started sorting out the shirts for their dorms.


Amy just moved in with us and brought her frog! While Staci has her dogs - so cute minature poodles!  I should have brought Petra!


2 comments:

  1. Glad to see that Albert et al arrived safely from the UK,

    signed Albert's Mum!
    Look forward to seeing more pictures of your time at PYC Melonie.
    Jocelyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Melonie this is really a cool idea.
    I'll be following every day.
    Madeleine

    ReplyDelete